It’s perfect timing that I am posting this on a day of indulgence, Halloween! A few weeks after my trip to The Ranch in Malibu, I am thinking about the lifestyle changes of the experience. Eliminating technology, sugar, alcohol and caffeine isn’t what comes to mind when you think of vacation! However, I found detoxing for the week empowering! I came home feeling great – no guilt about eating bad, fatty food or overindulging with the bottomless margarita glass (the kind of trips that require a post vacation…vacation).
Detoxing doesn’t have to be “Green”
After my week away from literally everything, it became very clear how little things make big things happen. By listening to my body and living clean, I perform better as a leader, mother, athlete and everyday person. Detoxing is not only about sipping green juice and munching on kale salads all day, it is about finding a balance (like everything in life) to make you a stronger person.
Small Changes Make Big Differences
You don’t need to go to a resort to make lifestyle changes. If you start small (just two!) I promise you will reap the benefits of a detox. Those two changes my friends are caffeine and booze, or as I like to call them the dirty duo. These two liquids are diuretics, rather than hydrate you and leave you feeling awake, refreshed, and ready to take on the day, leave you feeling dehydrated and in slow-motion. Ironically to give you a boost, you typically drink more caffeine and/or alcohol! It is a vicious cycle. The beverage of choice? Of course, good ole’ H20.
Let’s talk about these beverages:
- Tea. I love it! With so many yummy flavors from spicy to fruity I promise there is something for everyone. Tumeric tea is a great anti-inflammatory post SHiFT!
- Be prepared. You may suffer some crazy headaches, my trick? I pop a mint and drink a cup of water. It distracts and wakes up my brain enough that my body forgets its withdrawing from our country’s most popular drug!
- Decaf is not the answer. Say it with me, “decaf is not the answer!” Accept this and embrace it!
- Apples. An apple a day not only keeps the doctor away but also the fatigue. Studies have shown that eating an apple can wake you up more than a cup of coffee! There is no shortage this caffeine deterrent around here!
- Be creative. Mint+Cucumber+Lime does not always have to be the flavors of a traditional mojtio, try adding them to seltzer for a refreshing drink
- Think smartly. Remind yourself of not only the tons of ways alcohol effects your body, from your liver, skin, cerebral functioning it also totally packs on the pounds pretty quickly. Remember how hard you SHiFTed this week? You don’t want to undo the calorie burn!
- SHiFT hour vs. happy hour. Instead of a typical happy hour girls night or drinks after work, change it up! Come SHiFT with your girls or coworkers, I promise you will look and feel better than a night out!
- Eat your water. Yes, you read right! Cauliflower is a natural detoxifier and foods like spinach, cucumber, and red peppers are loaded with water, hydrating your cells leaving you with glowing skin and a less bloated belly! Who doesn’t want that?!?
- Drink, drink and drink. Try to drink a glass of water every hour to every other hour, it will help keep you full and flush out any of those toxins from your pre-detox bad choices!
- Explore flavors. Mix it up with mix in’s! Mint, strawberries, ginger, lemon, get creative with your water bottle!
With the holiday season around the corner, start your detox plan. You will feel stronger than ever, I swear there will be no need for those New Year’s Resolutions! Pick a couple of things and make a change. It’s not going to be easy but it will be so worth it my friends!
Follow SHiFTCycling on Twitter for hydration reminders!